Collection Week November 13-21
How to get involved…
How do I pack a Shoebox?
USE AN EMPTY SHOEBOX (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift.
BOY OR GIRL? Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Print out the appropriate boy/girl label shown from www.samaritanspurse.org/OCC. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.
FILL WITH GIFTS. Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child.
- TOYS - small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, small Etch A Sketch®, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky®, etc.
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES - pens, pencils and sharpener, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- HYGIENE ITEMS - toothbrush, toothpaste, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
- OTHER - hard candy and lollipops (please double bag all candy), mints, gum, t-shirts, socks, ball caps; sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries)
- A PERSONAL NOTE - In a separate envelope, you may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. (If you include your name and address, the child may write back.)
DO NOT INCLUDE:
used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snowglobes or glass containers; aerosol cans
INCLUDE YOUR DONATION. Please donate $7 or more for each shoe box you prepare to help cover shipping and other project costs. You can give online by using the Samaritian's Purse online donation option, or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you or your family are preparing more than one shoe box, please make one combined donation. If you give on-line you can follow your shoebox and find out what country it goes to!
How do I Volunteer?
Relay Center Volunteers are needed to man the Relay Center during collection week November 16-23
Transportation - we need volunteers with trucks or vans to transport cartons of shoeboxes to the Collection Center in Denton several times throughout collection week.
Office Support Volunteers are needed to insert OCC information pages in the FBCL worship guides. There is also a lot of copying to be done.
Information Booth - We need volunteers to man the Information Booth in the Worship Center Atrium each Sunday morning starting October 30, and ending November 20. The booth will be open before and after each worship service.
To volunteer for these opportunities or for more information, please contact Susan McClelland at 972.436.5502 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Where and when do I drop it off?
DROP OFF Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop off at the FBC Lewisville Relay Center during collection week (Nov. 16-23). The Relay Center is located behind the main church building in Portable Bldg. #4 on the north side of the church parking lot. The Relay Center will be open during these hours:
Mon-Fri Nov. 14-17 1-7 pm
Sat-Sun Nov. 19-20 1-5 pm
Monday, Nov. 21 10 am-1 pm
You can also leave your box at the church office when the relay center is not open. Sorry, we cannot accept any boxes after 1:00pm, November 21. After Monday, November 21, you may ship your box directly to:
Operation Christmas Child
801 Bamboo Road
Boone, NC 28607
Want to know even more?
Click on this link.