September 7, 2015

Messy Marriage

Monday
Genesis 2:18-25
When my husband and I first got married, we were given many things that stated “some assembly required” on the box. I’ll never forget the sound of silence I heard after Shawn had emptied the contents of a box of shelves onto the floor of our apartment. I was doing something in our kitchen and couldn’t see him. I thought he had left, so I went around the corner to investigate and was utterly stunned to find him very studiously reading the assembly directions. I had never seen that before. At my house, we would just dive into the project and read the instructions if, and only if, we hit a snag. We usually did fine about 60% of the time, but as for the remaining 40%, there were several times the disasters were so major that complete do-overs were required. Sadly, many people have the same approach to marriage.

Pastor Steve J. Cole wrote: “Marriage should come with the label, ‘Much assembly required!’ It takes a lifetime of work to put it together the right way. Most of us plunged in without carefully reading the instruction manual, confident that we could figure it out. But we quickly get into trouble and frequently need to read and re-read the manufacturer’s instructions. Most of the problems we get into in marriage can be traced to our neglect of reading and obeying God’s instructions.”

Today’s passage reveals God’s plan for marriage. In it, we see God’s reason for its creation and instructions that, if followed, can help couples have marriages that last and honor him in the process.

Over the next days, we will study God’s instructions on marriage.