At the end of our services there is a "time of invitation" when you can make your decision known publicly. If you have any questions about your decision, please contact us. Our church offices are open Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm and we would be happy to talk with you about it.
Requirements for church membership:
You have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. You have declared Him as Forgiver and Leader of your life.
You have been baptized by immersion and of your own choosing (see below to find out what we believe Scripture teaches about baptism).
In addition to the above two requirements, we have other expectations for members.
What’s expected of members and what members can expect
What this church expects of her members
Jesus expects His church to serve Him. Our FBCL website is full of opportunities to do just that, both inside and outside the church walls. As a local body of Christ, First Baptist Lewisville also has some “reasonable expectations” of her members. While not a comprehensive listing, these expectations reflect the heart of what we are all about here at FBCL- committing to Jesus, to His followers, and to His world.
- Read the Bible and pray: These constitute the bare necessities for spiritual growth and would ideally be a daily practice.
- Participate in Worship Services: Not merely consistent attendance, but consistent participation in corporate worship is commanded by scripture and necessary for a full spiritual life.
- Connect to a Bible Study class: Discipleship, ministry and friendships develop best in these small group settings.
- Weekly involvement is a key component of becoming connected to the Body.
- Find a place to serve regularly: The Bible commands that each of us serve. We offer opportunities to fit every life stage.
- Give financially to God’s work: The Bible is crystal clear on this point. Giving should be done cheerfully, systematically and sacrificially. For the church to be effective in ministry, her members must give.
- Be involved in mission experiences: We want each member to commit to participating in at least one mission experience per year, whether that consists of one afternoon filling a local need, or a lengthy international endeavor.
Invite people to Jesus and His church: Jesus is loving and growing and changing you through life here at FBCL. The natural response to that would be a desire to share with those around you.
What members can expect of this church
- Equipping you to grow in Christ: FBCL provides opportunities for all of us to enhance our spiritual lives, from the youngest to the oldest. We make every effort to offer ministries that benefit all our members.
- Quality corporate worship: Our weekly services are thoroughly prepared and prayed over. Our pastor and worship ministry staff is committed to do their best to bring each of us into an authentic experience with God.
- Opportunities to serve: Every believer is gifted by God for service. We will help you discover your spiritual gifts, and then provide a variety of options for you to exercise them.
- Responsible use of resources: You give your tithes and offerings to God. We respect that and promise to be responsible and accountable for all resources entrusted to us.
- Ministry and support: Our Ministry staff and our lay leadership are dedicated to serving you and your family whatever your needs may be. Our goal is to be available and approachable to all our members.
To hear more about these expectations listen to this sermon from our pastor (Click here to listen)
Ways to join FBC Lewisville:
By Committing your life to Jesus Christ
This means that you have already received or that you want to receive Jesus Christ as your Savior.
Joining Our Church by Baptism
You can join by being baptized if you're making your profession of faith as a new Christian or if you're coming from a church of another denomination whose view of Baptism is different from the New Testament baptism as practiced (symbolic and by immersion).
Transferring membership from another Baptist Church
If you're currently a member of another Baptist Church, you can transfer your membership to FBC Lewisville by visiting with a minister on Sunday morning during our “time of invitation” at the end of our worship service.
Join our church by statement
If you have previously accepted Jesus Christ as Savior and have been baptized* by immersion as an act of obedience, we will accept your membership by statement of your Faith.
What about my child's decision to commit their life to Christ?
When children are ready to make a "decision" they may come forward during the invitation at the end of a service where they will be greeted by a minister. Then, parents are instructed concerning the next step based upon the child's age, experience and need. Please talk with our Children's Minister or with your child's Bible Study leader if you have questions. There is a New Christian's Class that will provide age-appropriate answers for your child. The class can be taken before or after a "profession of faith" has been made.